Sunday, October 13, 2013

NIKE: 10 Years in San Fran... With Black and Gold

“Inspiration from this project came from Bricolage, a genre of art I’ve been wanting to experiment with, where every piece has purpose within the larger installation,” said Kate McCollough, X Collection trunk designer and artist. “We wanted to create something beautiful and luxurious that every female runner wants and needs. There is an air of decadence and unwavering confidence that meets the practicality and vigor of the women who run the Nike Women’s Marathon in San Francisco.”

Where were you exactly 10 years ago? I think I was sitting up in a law firm in DC, pushing paper, suited up in Donna Karan and Elie Tahari, catching cabs to DC's Superior Court, filing injunctions, etc...Seriously. That was my life as a law school-drop out turned awesome corporate paralegal. I was about my business. And I was working out like a crazy woman obsessed with my body. I'd spend a lot of lunch hours in the raggedy building gym, sweating off my SlimFast.

And I cycled long distance. I loved it more than anything. I've never been an athlete by any dictionary definition, but I've enjoyed the idea of staying fit and pushing my body. I fell off about 5 years ago and haven't fully recovered from lethargy, though I do trapeze, hit the occasional yoga and pilates class, and walk 3 miles a few times a week.

Or wake up one morning and run my first ever 1/2 marathon. Like a crazy woman obsessed with my body. I did that in April and felt equally amazed as I did 11 years ago when I rode 350 miles in support of AIDs efforts in DC.

It doesn't require being an athlete, but it does require a certain level of commitment to push your body in a way you didn't really know you could. Nike will do that to you. I experienced it for myself. They push athletes. But they also push people like me.

Wannabes.

A decade later, they're still pushing us, women, to run and run for a cause. Next Sunday, 30k women will congregate in San Francisco and run the famous marathon. I had every intention to make it out west and run it, with little training, but life got in the way, and I have to be in NY with a client. But, I'm so there in spirit. I've been following the progress and stories on their FB page and totally get it!

As with any event making it to 10 years of existence, the celebration has to be pretty spectacular. And since Nike doesn't really do anything half-way, (I mean, who gives out Tiffany necklaces as the "medal" other than they?), I was not surprised to see their commemorative black and gold trunk for the race. It's full of amazingness in fashion, design, and practicality! It embodies symbols of Nike, the goddess of Victory, 10 years in the way of 10 drawers with engraved numbers for each yea, and other sassy details.

And they also put out a full collection of training and race day wear. Of course, my fave would be the wedge sneakers. And then these perfectly hued  Free Flynit+. Both were designed for the decade party and yep, working on my getting my size 8 foot in both. A girl can never have too many fly sneakers. Seriously.


If I were in SF next weekend, I'd make sure to Instagram and Tweet the entire thing, while pushing through 26 miles of awesome challenges, but since I won't, I'll cheer on from NY and hope the girls the best! It's really an impressive moment. A memorable accomplishment. I can't wait for it to come back to DC! 

Check out the entire race collection here. You'll love it.

Won't you follow the sexy and share on TWITTERFACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM  | GOOGLE + :) 



0 comments:

© 2011 B So Chic!™ : Chronicles of a Hat & Shoe Queen (& A Boutique!), AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena