Monday, December 19, 2011

Essence Magazine and Fabulous Fur Toppers!

There are those phone calls and emails I loathe receiving. It's either a client that can't afford my services but earnestly wants to work me down, or a last minute writing assignment in which case I have to drop everything I'm doing and make my deadline. 

But then there are those phone calls that are always welcome. No matter what time of day. And those special emails that are always welcome, too. No matter what time of day.

I get them quite a bit and every time I do, I find myself experiencing a new reaction. 

But, when a friend tweeted "Girl, I see you is January's Essence issue," I was confused. Essence had called me last month and requested a picture and some other information, but I didn't know that picture would take up 1/3 (or 1/4???) of of a page in the Style section.

BOOM! What a sweet and fashionable surprise. She tweeted a picture of Pg. 28. I hopped in my car and sped to the bookstore. Nada. A 2nd bookstore. Nada. Drats. Only subscribers were getting the mag. I had to wait for it to hit newsstands and finally, it did a few days ago and I couldn't resist but to take a picture of the cover and said page!

Queen Latifah and all her majesty graces the cover, while fashionistas get a lovely plug in the center. I think I can get used to this. I've seen my name in magazines, but as a writer and mostly about food. Seeing it as a feature in fashion is a whole other giddy feeling. So much, I'm framing it and plastering it everywhere in my place. That's until others come calling---b/c yes, I've put that out there! All the other mags we subscribe to.

So this is from a photo shoot I did last winter with my former photog intern, Nicki. I blogged about it at that time in a post appropriately called "Faux Get Me Not." Having the image snatched up by Essence is an honor. I never thought in a million years, any of my pics would get printed. And let me tell you, it feels goooooooooooood! It's even fancier that my fur hat got a mention in the story--happens to be one of my faves.

Thank you Essence! You've tickled me so and helped start the year on a fabulous note!

Here's to more fashion print features!

xo.



http://instagr.am/p/aGYaB/

22 comments:

kenda said...

congrats, bren! i have that issue of essence, but i haven't read it yet. i'll definitely keep an eye out for your pic.

ELIANA TARDIO said...

congratulations for all the glamour and beauty around you! it looks like a great end of the year and an amazing start for a new year, new projects and success! merry christmas!

Unknown said...

sooo proud of you lady!

AutismWonderland said...

Absolutely LOVE the photo - CONGRATS!
Those little unexpected moments make up for everything else don't they?

Mercedes @BeChicMag said...

Totally love it Bren! And is that Jade from America's Next Top Model on your left. Te ves bella.

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS! So happy for you! It's a beautiful photo :)

Itzel Yagual said...

Wow, congratulations! I am not surprised to see you in this magazine. You definitely have a gift in style. It's wonderful to see another Latina succeed in their goals. Go head fashionista!

dp said...

Love the tights with the jacket nice look

If Curves Could Talk (Stefanie) said...

SO PROUD!!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

thank YOU all for the lovely words!! Deeply appreciated. I'm tickled, like I said... I know there are major fashion bloggers out there that get all kinds of press, so being recognized in Essence which is a huge mag and well-respected, is just too much fun!

perudelights said...

Beautiful picture! You look so chic and stylish! Congratulations!

Sujeiry said...

Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! I get what you mean about this being different than other mentions. I've has my name in print for writing but to be mentioned/honored for another passion almost feels surreal. I will one day feel the same when I'm inside a magazine for my radio show! Crossing fingers and toes! And congrats again. You're fabulous fashionable self deserves the recognition!'

Rachael Hutchings said...

You look AMAZING!!! And CONGRATS! XO

BlitzAndGlam said...

Congrats, Bren! That's a great photo! I haven't read my January issue yet, but now I can't wait.

Carrie at Tiki Tiki Blog! said...

Super, super cool!
Love your look.

Congratulations!

Unknown said...

Peru Delights: Thank you, lovely!

Sujeiry: Thanks, thanks, thanks! Go make that happen!! Crossing fingers for you!

FujiMama: You're amazing for thinking so! :)

BlitzandGlam: Thanks hun! Can't wait for you to flip through!

Carrie: Gracias!

Yvette ~ Muy Bueno said...

Ay que fancy!!! LOVE it girl! Love that you are truly keeping it warm but still showing sexy. CONGRATS! Wishing you all the best for 2012~

vianney said...

Love the pop of green!! y the pose, caliente!! congrats!!

Naja said...

Congrats lady, That is a truly FAB photo....WERQ!
xoxo,
Naja Diamond
NajaDiamond.com

Marcella said...

Congrats on the feature :)

Happy New Year too!

x Marcella
www.fashiondistraction.com

hunt4anarnia said...

Happy Happy Joy Joy! I really enjoyed that feature! Only wish they could have printed "Bren Herrera Writer Atlanta Georgia!"lol!

nicky said...

This is sooo cool and chic!!! Now is the first and only time (so far) that I can say when I read magazine "I know this person!!!!"

© 2011 B So Chic!™ : Chronicles of a Hat & Shoe Queen (& A Boutique!), AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena