Thursday, March 15, 2012

Beauty Bloom: CoverGirl Celebrity Looks

Every gal I know wants to achieve that fabulous red carpet looks the lovely ladies of Hollywood rock during every awards show (well, most anyway). Though awards season is now over and the coveted frocks are available at various discount designers and stores, the hair and makeup are looks that are still enviable and doable year round! We all have cocktail parties, dates, sexy events and soirees to attend that require our best face forward. 

I had the most fun time recreating the looks Sofia Vergara at Paula Patton had at the Golden Globes with one of my fabulous makeup artists. We used some insider notes from Sofia's makeup artist: 

·         Inspiration/Dress: This look is all about the lips.  We chose a bright plum lip and kept the eyes soft with bronze shadow and multiple coats of mascara. The dress is a gorgeous Vera Wang in a shade of teal and the hair is very sleek and youthful so we wanted the makeup to stand out and look youthful as well.

 I used one of my mua to apply the makeup because I really wanted to get real in person tips on how to best use and apply drugstore makeup. After she finished, which was all caught on video and will be up next week, I was pleasantly surprised with having a fabulous evening look that I could easily do myself. I make a point of sharing that because having an every day option and a solid go-to brand that does the trick is key to being versatile and even saving some pennies when on a budget! I still love and use my department store brands but making Covergirl work just as fabulous results in a very happy wallet (more savings for the Loubs, you know!).

I especially loved the Simply Ageless Concealer that was geniusly created with Olay products. The purple compact carries a really light all-around non-liquid concealer that makes it easy to cover dark spots, wrinkles (thanking God I've yet to see any on my cara) and blemishes. I used it all over and loved the even look. The collection is limited in colors and hues but I found the light medium to work best on my complexion. 

My second favorite was the pressed powder. I'm a completely powder snob only because not only until two years ago did I really embrace the idea of using foundation and concealers (other than under eye). Ironically, while cleaning out my bathroom, I found a 6 year old CG powder in the very same color I received! The new version is still fragrant (something I loved in the very old one I found) but the shade was  a bit lighter. Paired with the concealer, I had full coverage and a really smooth look.

One thing me and Shalawn talked about was accentuating my eyes vs. my lips. Focus on one or the other is what she and other artists I've worked with have always reiterated.  I tend to go for both in a balanced way but if I go for the bold colors I love, it's best to do a more nude lip. Sofia's carpet look struck a great balance of both. Naturally, being on camera requires a more layered application. For everyday, sticking to the "one or the other" rule works just fine. 

We finished off my look with applying Simply Ageless Sculpting Blush in Lust Berry and for my eyes, we loved creating a smokey look with the Tropical Fusion 4-Kit Shadows... no makeup look is complete with mascara so we did two layers using the lash blast 24-hour one... and eyeliner... for evening. 

I've not toyed with a lot of drugstore brands since I was as eager teenager, but will say I'm loving the flexibility that CoverGirl offers for the everyday chica. Wearing makeup and having a fabulous look for just about any occasion does not have to be complicated! If A-listers can wear it, so can we!

Tune in next week for the video tutorial! It's so much fun! 


*I received product in order to write this review. All opinions and use of a make up artist are strictly mine and honestly represent my sentiments. 



Follow me on TWITTERFACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM  | GOOGLE +



Follow B So Chic!™ Chronicles of a Hat & Shoe Queen (& A Boutique!)

2 comments:

Michele the Belle said...

I'm a makeup artist and have worked with CoverGirl in the past. I like the look of the new product line. Looks chic and by the sounds of it, you can really enjoy the feel and over all look of it for every day use. I'll have to keep that in mind next time I'm out shopping! Thanks for sharing.

mercedes said...

ME RECUERDO CUANDO EMPEZE A USAR MAQUILLAJE COVERGIRL Y OTRAS MARCAS PERO LA QUE MAS ME GUSTA FUE COVER GIRL Y AHORA LA NUEVA LINEA ME ENCANTA CUBRE TODO TIPO DE MUJER .ME ENCANTA EL NUEVO CREYON DE LABIO SENZACIONAL .Y SOFIA MARAVILLOSA ME ENCANTA SOFIA ES UNA LATINA CON TREMENDA CHISPA

© 2011 B So Chic!™ : Chronicles of a Hat & Shoe Queen (& A Boutique!), AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena