Tuesday, September 24, 2013

When Getting Dressed is a Chore...


Sometimes I get really lazy and don't want to put any effort into my look. No matter what I've got going on, how fancy, or professional the gig is, I just slip into the most yogi, "I-don't-have-time-" space and go for whatever. My personal style is not trendy or out of a magazine "What's In and Out" spread. As one sweet colleague noted, I am organically me. I wear what I want, when I want, how I want. Sure, I'll never go out looking raggedy and like the ultra fabulous dressing room I own didn't exist, but it's just not at all thought out or intentional all the time.

Even when I'm cooking publicly, in front of large crowds, I fail at looking the part. After all, I do cook in heels or at least, I'm supposed to be for my clients. They love it. And I actually can go 7 hours in 5" w/out incident.

This last class of my awesome 12-week run teaching a hands-on Latin fusion cooking class at LivingSocial in DC, where I did wear heels every week, I decided to try a bit more than I had been in the past 11 classes. But even still, I feel it was not authentically me. I got dressed in 5 minutes, got to class 15 minutes late, and had aching toesies after 3 hours of monitoring all the lovely ladies' stations.

Fortunately, my cool Papi came with me to help out with the technique (and because I was running so epically late, I really needed him to park my car and move around the kitchen for me); And then a sweet surprise. My graphic designer/photographer and dear friend Dave showed up for the last 10 minutes of class, surprising me with his fancy camera equipment and snapped these pics of me teaching the class how to make flan (and then we eat it!).

I've been hired to come back for another series at LivingSocial's 918 F St. and I'm vowed to step it up and showcase what it's like to really cook in heels!

I'll actually try to document those looks because how I dress to teach a class of 25-50 how to cook, is always a conversation piece :)

Talking about ceramic ramekins and how to coat them with caramel. 
In full action, answering someone's question, probably.

Adding a finishing touch to the main course. 

My dad modeling my main course. 

Answering questions?? 

A student came up to my station to learn up close and personal how to work with 350F sugar.

Talking about caramel.

Two happy students!

A student learning how to loosen flan before the flip!

Two happy friends enjoying a sea salt caramel and espresso flan! 


Wearing:
Skirt: Theory
Top via TJ Maxx
Shoes: Jessica Simpson
Necklace: C.B. Herrera 
Bone bangle: via specialty boutique overseas 
Varied arm candy

Follow the sexy fun on TWITTER FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM  | GOOGLE + :) 


5 comments:

Melanie said...

Love, love & triple love! Great article, awesome pics! xo!

Nkeiruka C. Ogbuokiri said...

I love this write-up. So authentic & fab!

Helena said...

Love the pictures! And love seeing your Papi acompañandote. Dale saludos de nuestra parte.

Dawn Carr said...

Awesome article cuz. Look foeward to your next session :-)

Elisa said...

These are great pics! And, of course, no one can pull off the heels in the kitchen like you can, mujer. :)

© 2011 B So Chic!™ : Chronicles of a Hat & Shoe Queen (& A Boutique!), AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena